Tartalomjegyzék

 

In Battle with the Crescent

Szigliget - G. Turco 1560

Although the Abbot of Pannonhalma repeatedly protested against the transfer of the castle, King Louis II confirmed the Lengyel family’s ownership of Szigliget in 1526. However, the defeat at the Battle of Mohács brought another turning point in the castle’s history. As the Lengyel family sided with John Szapolyai, King Ferdinand I confiscated their estates on the grounds of disloyalty and granted Szigliget to Bálint Török of Enying. The castle’s castellan, István Kulcsár, was unwilling to hand it over peacefully to Török’s envoy, Imre Martonfalvay, who ultimately captured it through stratagem without firing a shot. Török appointed Martonfalvay as captain of the castle, and he soon began repairing the “great, desolate fortress,” restoring its roofs and outer walls. He also constructed a new tower, several bastions, cellars, and a well. As a result of his work, the 16th-century layout of Szigliget Castle was essentially established—a layout that remained largely unchanged in later centuries. This form and a perspective view of the castle were preserved in drawings made by G. Turco in 1569. In the 1540s, Szigliget Castle returned to the possession of the Lengyel family. The guardian of the underage heirs—Bálint Magyar of Palona, a renowned border fortress warrior respected by both Hungarians and Ottomans—became captain of Szigliget and Fonyód, as well as administrator of the associated estates. Ottoman raids intensified, and battles became increasingly frequent in and around Szigliget. Magyar Bálint’s bravery became legendary: one day he fought at Fonyód, the next at Szigliget, and at other times near Tihany or Veszprém. From his letters, we learn that from 1558 onward he spent more and more time at Szigliget Castle. In the autumn of that year, a raiding Ottoman force attacked the village late in the evening. With only a small number of defenders, Magyar Bálint rushed to aid the villagers, but in the struggle against the superior enemy force he nearly lost his life. Only through his exceptional courage and strength was he able to break through enemy lines and retreat back to the castle. Ottoman harassment did not cease, but until his death Magyar Bálint successfully resisted their advances and prevented the expansion of Ottoman-controlled territory in the region. In 1571, though seriously ill and confined to Szigliget Castle, he still managed to repel another attack. A letter dated May 12, 1573, reports his death. The same letter notes that his warhorse was laid to rest at Keresztúr—an honor typically reserved for the most distinguished warriors of the 16th century, further testifying to his renown. After his death, Szigliget and Fonyód returned to the Lengyel family, but in the summer of 1575, the Ottomans captured Fonyód. Szigliget Castle itself was also in poor condition, as evidenced by repeated financial support granted in 1580 by the royal chamber to István Lengyel for its repairs. However, this funding was only sufficient for essential maintenance. In 1588, István Lengyel petitioned the king to exchange Szigliget for the estate of Rajka, citing the castle’s deteriorating condition, inadequate military equipment, and the proximity of Ottoman forces. Since border fortress soldiers were rarely paid, they were often forced to secure their own livelihood—sometimes by raiding Ottoman forces even during times of peace, or by extracting provisions from Hungarian villages. In 1613, and again in 1618 and 1622, orders were issued to provide proper garrisons and pay for the castles of Szigliget, Keszthely, and Csobánc, to prevent unrest among unpaid soldiers. In 1606, János Lengyel served as captain of the castle. At this time, Szigliget also hosted a flotilla of Balaton boatmen, along with around one hundred infantry, twenty-five cavalrymen, and the naval forces of Sándor Bakáts. Around 1630, Boldizsár Lengyel became captain, commanding a garrison of 12 hussars, 25 infantrymen, and one artilleryman, with a monthly pay of 125 forints. The financial strength of the Lengyel family gradually increased, in parallel with the general weakening of Ottoman power. During Boldizsár’s tenure, the castle was reinforced and repaired, as evidenced by a mid-17th-century depiction, a ground plan, and a carved stone coat of arms that once adorned the gate. After him, Gáspár became captain and financed the construction of boats at his own expense to defend against Ottoman attacks from Lake Balaton. In 1647, he requested 400–500 men to clear and improve the Szigliget harbor so that military boats could move more easily. Miklós Zrínyi, then lord lieutenant of Zala County, ordered the dispatch of 200 men to assist. Such preparations were necessary, as the Ottomans also maintained a fleet on the southern shore of the lake. Contemporary letters report significant damage caused by Ottoman boat raids along the Zala shore—villagers and castle inhabitants were often taken captive during sudden attacks. The Ottoman “naval base” was located at Siófok, where in 1647 a fleet capable of transporting a thousand men was stationed.