In 1702, by order of Emperor Leopold, Szigliget Castle was demolished. The castle's captain at the time was Miklós Lengyel. In early 1708, he returned from Zala and Szigliget to his Somogy estate and, persuaded by the Kuruc commander-in-chief Count Antal Esterházy, took on the position of deputy lord-lieutenant of Somogy County. In the summer of 1709, the Kuruc forces were driven out of Somogy by the Labanc troops. The Labanc commander-in-chief, General Veterani, drove away the cattle herds from Miklós's estates near Lake Balaton and expelled the nobles. In 1722, he married Magdolna Martonfalvay and restored the family estates. The marriage produced 6 children: Lajos (1702–1762), Gáspár Sr. (1704–1755), Krisztina (1710–), Magdolna, Julianna, Borbála.
Krisztina became the wife of Károly Nedeczky, thereby helping the Nedeczky family acquire the estates of Lesencetomaj and its surroundings. In 1752, a manor house was built in the centre of the village of Lesencetomaj.
The paths of Gáspár Lengyel Sr. and Lajos Lengyel diverged.
Gáspár Lengyel Sr. married Julianna Sztrányai in 1749 (1715–1788, Lengyeltóti). They lived in Lengyeltóti. He was a wise, progressive-minded, active, and generous man. The Lengyeltóti manor became a centre of national spirit in Somogy County, visited by Count Ferenc Széchenyi and Count György Festetics. He possessed a library of 5,000 volumes, an art gallery, and a hunting trophy collection, which remained in the possession of the Inkey family until 1944, when Bulgarian soldiers ransacked and burned the collection.
The marriage produced 3 children: Gáspár Lengyel Jr. (1734–1804.03.03., Lengyeltóti), Antal (1750–1800), Magdolna (1751–1753).
Antal's wife was Mária Pallini-Inkey (1756–1798).
Gáspár Lengyel Jr.'s wife was Countess Erzsébet Pongrácz (1759–1810). On 13 October 1778, Gáspár was granted the rank of baron, which placed a considerable financial burden on the family; nevertheless, it is likely that he had the central section of the present manor house built for his daughters.
Julianna was born in 1780. On 16 July 1806, she became the wife of Baron Menyhért Pásztory (1764–1849) — Imperial and Royal Colonel and Knight of the Order of Maria Theresa.
Krisztina (1782–1814) married Baron Vencel Puteani on 8 October 1804 in Lengyeltóti. Two children were born: Baron Sándor Puteani (30 April 1808 – 31 December 1861), who in 1826 married Countess Klára Czegei Vass (1810–1869). They had 3 children: Baron Kálmán Puteani (1834–1883, Szigliget), Natália (1840), Béla (1837–1890).
Baron József Puteani (Felsőbogátpuszta, 20 April 1811 – 6 July 1869, Szigliget).
Sándor and József were placed under guardianship after their parents' early deaths. With the death of their mother — Baroness Krisztina Lengyel — and the absence of a male heir, this branch of the Lengyel family became extinct.
In 1830, they received their maternal inheritance, and József moved to Szigliget at that time. On 9 August 1830, the general assembly of Zala County recognised the Puteani baronial family as undisputed nobles. In 1831, he was appointed honorary notary of Zala County. On 8 December 1835, he married Paulina Lukafalvi Zarka. The wedding took place in Nemestördemice. It is conceivable that the first part of the manor house was built around this time. The marriage produced 4 children:

Count János Esterházy and his wife
Count János Esterházy and his wife

Baroness Róza Puteáni (10 February 1836 – 3 November 1919, Kőszeg): goddaughter of Ferenc Deák, she had two husbands — Ferenc Zalabéri Horváth in 1857 and Sándor Babarczy in 1871.
Baron Ödön Puteani (Szigliget, 9 November 1840 –): his wives were Vilma Chernel in 1867, Ilona Chernel (born Tömörd, 1850) in 1870, and Ilona Speidl in 1875. With Ilona Chernel, two children were born: Vilma – 2 February 1871 – and István – 28 January 1873. With Ilona Speidl: Ilona, 2 July 1876, and Polin, 31 March 1878.
Baroness Vilma Puteani (Budapest, 20 March 1850): her husband, Baron Kálmán Puteani (son of Sándor Puteani), Imperial and Royal Chamberlain and Major. The wedding took place in Nemestördemice on 8 August 1867. Three children were born: Irma, 24 December 1870 – January 1916; Paula, 12 January 1872, whose husband was István Bezerédj, Deputy Lord-Lieutenant of Vas County, married 4 October 1890; Ilona, 10 October 1874.
Baron Géza Puteani (16 January 1847 – 1920): wife, married 30 September 1873 in Tömörd: Irma Chernel.
The last baron, Géza, ruined the ancient estate through a lavish lifestyle — squandering it on cards, women, and horse racing. His estate of 589 acres of land and nearly 3,000 acres of Lake Balaton were purchased by Count Pál Esterházy in 1910. Géza Puteani subsequently retired to the Black Castle near Balatonederics with his former housekeeper and daughter.
It should not be regarded solely as an Esterházy possession! The families of Frystádtler, Svatics, and Güns also held extensive vineyard estates in Szigliget.

Alex and Péter
Alex and Péter

In the history of the manor house, 35 years belonged to the Esterházy family, who were undoubtedly very popular. After 1910, the Count embarked on significant construction works. He developed the upper courtyard of the manor, closed off the road that ran alongside it and redirected it above the fence, built the Bujtás Gate, erected the chapel next to today's lower gate, and created an elegant entrance in the English style. His wife, Countess Izabella Deym of Střítež, was born in London on 21 July 1877 (pictured below); she brought her taste and culture from there, strongly influencing the further changes. Pál Esterházy (born 1860) rarely stayed in Szigliget — he preferred Uzsa and its forests, where he hunted. Having no heir of his own, the Count brought from Marcaltő his nephew János, son of his brother János Esterházy Sr. (pictured right), who lived in the small manor house on the site of today's school. The young Count was knowledgeable in agriculture, having completed agricultural college. The two manor houses each had their own staff, between whom there was constant quarrelling and jealousy. Count János Esterházy and his wife had three children: Alexandra, Péter, and Franciska.

The old Countess
The old Countess

Pál Esterházy died in Vienna on 29 October 1932 and was buried in the family crypt in Ganna on 2 November 1932. After this, the young Count became the sole owner of the Uzsa, Pula, and Szigliget estates.
On 21 March 1945, Russian troops entered Szigliget. A few days before, the Countess decided to leave Szigliget and fled. She died in Lausanne on 8 June 1968.

 

József Takács

 

The family tree of the Lengyel and Puteáni families from the early 1500s to the early 1900s.

The Lengyel and Puteáni Family