Szigliget’s Szentháromság (Holy Trinity) Chapel, also known as the Vineyard Hill Chapel, stands on one of the most beautiful mountain saddles of the village, at Rókarántó. The classicist-style chapel was built between 1845 and 1847 from donations by local vineyard owners. The construction is described in the Historia Domus as follows: “In the year 1845, encouraged by the tireless parish priest (Ferenc Szeles), the faithful began building a chapel on the Szigliget Vineyard Hill. In 1847, the construction of the Szigliget Chapel having been completed, it was consecrated on September 21.”
Over the decades, the chapel twice faced the threat of destruction. In 1897, lightning struck the tower, but fortunately the building did not catch fire. On another occasion, the shingle-roofed chapel was mistaken for a watchtower, and a bombing sequence was launched against it. Miraculously, no damage occurred inside the chapel, though the roof unfortunately burned down.
“On the morning of March 27, 1945, the Russians broke into Nemestördemic. That morning, the Szigliget mountain Holy Trinity Chapel was hit by an incendiary bomb, and its roof completely burned down. Through great sacrifice by the faithful, this damage was entirely repaired, and with a new tile roof it became more beautiful than before. The roof of the Szigliget church also suffered damage, which was likewise repaired.” – Historia Domus
The chapel’s harmonium was purchased in 1902 from donations by local residents. Its altarpiece was painted by Lajos Rezes Molnár. In the sanctuary, on the left and right sides, there are paintings of the Virgin Mary and the Child Jesus, as well as a painting titled “The Descent from the Cross.”
The restoration of the chapel’s altar took place in 2016. During this work, damaged wooden elements were replaced, the exterior varnish was refreshed, the tabernacle was renewed, and the gold decorations and chalice were restored. Interestingly, in one hidden corner of the altar, the original maker inscribed the date of construction: 1847.
A single bell resides in the tower. The bell, which rings every day, was cast by bell-founder János Mendel in 1843 in Győr. The bell is considered a true rarity, as its looped crown has survived to this day. Its lower diameter is 48.8 cm, its weight 115 pounds (64.5 kg). The inscription on the upper frieze reads: “MENDEL JÁNOS ÖNTÖTT GYÖRÖTT” (“Cast by János Mendel in Győr”). The inscription on the lower frieze reads: “GROF ESZTERHÁZY JOSEF ÉS KÁROLY KÉSZÍTETTÉK 1843 ESZTEИDŐBEN” (“Prepared by Counts József and Károly Esterházy in the year 1843”).

In front of the chapel stands a stone cross erected in memory of Hungarian soldiers who fell in the world wars. Next to it, a memorial plaque was placed for the crew of an American aircraft that crashed not far from this location, symbolizing the importance of reconciliation among all nations.
